Just got an email asking for ideas on what to do with several books of 23k gold leaf. Depending on the thickness of the gold, here are some ideas:
- Gilding on a lot of surfaces (put down glue, wait for it to get tacky, put leaf on, dry, brush off spare leaf)
- Keum-boo (heat fine or depleted sterling silver to 600 degrees or so and then burnish gold leaf to it)
- Tooling book covers (blind tool line with hot tool, paint with glare – glorified egg whites, apply gold leaf, dry and brush off spare leaf)
- Applying under transparent enamels
- You could always melt it down in a crucible with borax and then roll out the ingot to make your own gold sheet.
The original email mentioned working with silver sheet, so I’m thinking keum-boo is the answer to her question. Celie Fago did an excellent book on it. Here’s a link to it on Amazon:
Keum-boo on Silver Techniques for Applying 24k Gold To Silver, By Celie Fago